Prescreening Instructions for Thermography
1 week before your appointment please AVOID:
- Major sunburns in the areas to be imaged
24 hours before your appointment please AVOID:
- Heavy exercise that will lead to soreness
- Acupuncture, massage, or chiropractic that may leave marks on the skin or local inflammation
- Sauna or steam rooms that may lead to elevated body temperature
On the day of your scan, please AVOID:
- Strenuous exercise
- Shaving in the areas to be imaged (avoid irritation/cutting)
- Using excessive lotions, powders, anti-perspirants, or very thick/heavy makeup in the areas that will be imaged (normal application of these items are acceptable)
- Sun exposure (excessive) or tanning booths
- Kidney dialysis
- Skin brushing/Dry brushing
2 hours prior to your scan, please AVOID:
- Very hot or very cold showers – normal showers are okay
- Heated seats, electric blankets, or other heating/cooling devices that may alter body temperatures
What to Wear
- Please try to avoid wearing very tight clothing that will leave marks on your skin.
- If you have irritation marks from tight fitting clothing, we will have to wait until the marks have dissipated prior to starting your thermogram.
- Jewelry will be removed for the scan – you may remove them in our office prior to imaging or (best) leave them at home
- Please wear your hair pulled back or pinned up.
- For a breast scan, no hair can be touching your shoulders
- For half body or full body scans, all hair needs to be pulled out of the face and up off the neck.
- We have headbands, clips, and hair ties in the office and can assist you if needed.
No changes to diet or medication are necessary prior to your thermogram
- Please continue to take all necessary medications as prescribed by your physician
- If you are able to avoid anti-inflammatory use prior to your scan this is preferred; however, if taken please make sure you let the thermographer know
- If you have received a vaccine in the last 4 weeks, please relay this to your thermographer, including which arm the vaccine was received
You MUST wait 3 months after completing the following before having a thermogram:
- You’ve had a major breast surgery (mastectomy, lumpectomy, breast implants, etc)
- You are have or are currently undergoing chemotherapy or radiation
- You are pregnant
- You are breastfeeding a child
You MUST wait 1 month after completing the following before having a thermogram:
- Breast biopsy
- Minor surgery in imaging area (ie mole removal)